Saturday, July 23, 2011

"White water Rafting"

      Some of the problems that I may have faced as an instructor would be to get my students to be more involved in their learning process. For example, class participation and group discussions many students will not participate in them. Another problem would be finding learning material that will help with each of my students learning styles. For example, some students are visual, kinesthetic, tactile, and auditory learners, and each learners needs to be address in a way that they can learn well.
       Some other problems that I have faced and will go to the grave with me without me having them completely solved would be excessive talking during class. I tried so many ways to try to solve this problem but nothing has helped. Another problem would be repeating questions that I have already answered. I know being an educator has it's good and bad side to it. I love teaching and would not trade it in for anything in the world, but I think some problems you just can't solve.

2 comments:

  1. Denise: regarding getting students more involved in learning I know this can be a challenge. I have a lot of group discussions that sometimes start off as a disaster but when I put a little bit of humor into the discussion by engaging myself into the topic I find that students open up to topics and start to talk. You may try the class participation as a game that challenges each student to talk as extra points for the class or even give them some rewards that enhance them to want to participate. You mentioned having materials for all learning styles..unfortunately unless you take special time each test or quiz or on lecture material there is not a fool proof method of using all styles into one. I may suggest that you try using 2 at a time and then the next topic use 2 others. Have you tried the toilet paper game? pass a roll of toilet paper to one person and tell them take as much as they want and pass it to the next person who does the same.
    after all students have toilet paper, now comes the fun part...ask the first person to count how many squares they have and with each square they have to say something about the topic that you are discussing. I use this as an introductory to the class when I have new students.
    Now the talking bit, I have the same issue in my class and I don't about you but have your tried this: when students begin talking you stop what you are lecturing on and once everyone is quiet you say well what you were discussing must be more important than what I have to say...then pop a quiz that day on them...this usually stops them from talking so much while you are and puts a scare in them.
    The issue with repeating questions over and over is always going to be an issue for all instructors. What I may suggest is you try to have a student repeat the question back to you with the answer and also have another student engage by helping the first student out. I find that by doing this, students tend to write things down more and listen better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often responded to a student who has asked a repeating question is to indicate it was asked and answered already and then direct the question to the class to assist. Then yes, you must silently wait for someone to respond.

    The other option for discussion is to ask everyone for a one word descriptor and no one can repeat. They must use that word to describe the book, article, concept, etc.

    ReplyDelete